Sunday, January 20, 2013

Transfer Day: The Haps...

I started off the morning with my 2mg of Estrace, a shot of PIO and of course a progesterone suppository.  Of course.  I'd only received THREE of them up until now. Each time a transfer was cancelled, another suppository thrown into the stockpile. 

Then, my phone rang and a nurse told me to arrive at the clinic at noon.  NOON! I was soooo excited that I wouldn't have to wait.  While on the phone with my nurse friend, I asked some simple questions (how long does it take: 15 minutes) (what's the deal with the water: she said to have a glass of water when I arrive...no big deal) and I also confirmed that I would like laser acupuncture before and after but would like to cancel being a part of the HCG wash clinical study.  Basically, I did not feel that I'd researched it enough to properly make an educated decision and seeing that this was my first transfer, I didn't want any regrets.  

We rolled up around 11:40am to an extremely empty building. It was awesome.  I was the first person to sign in and if I hadn't waited to hold the door open for the lady after me, I would have been the first transfer performed.  Damn manners.  

Here's my timeline from this point forward:

11:50am

Change into the usual hair-net, backless body sack dress and booties
Drink big cup of water
Sit on table
WAIT

12:15pm

Sign some papers
WAIT
Get a little anxious
Get more anxious

12:40pm

Nurse checks my belly. I am at the proper fullness.
Anxiety.
Start to have to pee. A LOT.

12:55pm

Laser Acupuncture begins and ends. Very simple. Very quick. Very diff from needle acu.
Pee becomes unbearable.
Nurse gives me a cup with a line that I can't pee above.
Off to the bathroom I go.  Feel better instantly.

1:25pm

TRANSFER BEGINS. 
Doctor shows me the embryos. A 6BB and a 5BC.  Learn that one of our 5BC's did not make it.  In the doctor's words, "it was the kind of embryo that could make a miscarriage, but not a baby."
I feel slightly bummed having heard the news, but don't let on.
Team adjoins, introductions ensue, embies are wheeled in, hubs is moved to the side and my legs fly sky high. Showtime.
One woman presses hard on my already temperamental bladder with an ultrasound wand. 
I worry about peeing on everyone.
The catheter hits a 90 degree angle. This causes a delay and additional abdominal pressure.
I really worry about peeing on them all.
Magically, I don't.

1:45pm 

Our embryos have officially been placed! (coolest, craziest, best feeling ever)
My one night stand team wheels out, Acupuncturist wheels back in.
Relaxation time.

2:15pm 
We are alerted that it is time to go. Bedrest time! (my goal is to do 24 hours hardcore/48 hours semi-hardcore & back to work on Tuesday)

Honestly, I think the whole day went well...considering.  Considering I've never done this before, had no idea what to expect and am AWFUL with surprises.  Considering that I had anxiety while I waited for my turn before and after.  Considering that when I got home, I had to POOP (I mean, wtf?!) and I feared pooping out my embryos.  Considering my stomach felt rattled for hours after. 

Luckily, I'm feeling way less anxious today and bed rest is getting easier for my antsy self.  Jeff brought me an amazingly thoughtful breakfast in bed with DECAF coffee (and did I mention he also ran out for my favorite Italian food last night?).  I'm spending my morning feeling truly relaxed while also trying anything I can think of to stay entertained...which at the moment includes reading Gone Girl, a supremely effed up book.  I recommend it.

Bloodwork appointment tomorrow! 1/21

xoxo
L

5BC to the left (I think he's hatching) and 6BB on the right. What a beaut.




No comments:

Post a Comment