Saturday, March 2, 2013

Progesterone In Oil Shots: My Tips!

As a survivor of well over a million of these oily shots straight to the tookus, I like to think that by the end I kinda had a good thing going.  Not enjoyable per se, but a far cry from where it all began. So, here is what I learned...

1. ALWAYS make sure to switch your needle.  Obviously, you will remember to do this.  OBVIOUSLY.  Because if you don't, you end up using the MASSIVE needle that is created solely to suck the medicine into the syringe to puncture your hiney...and then you will scream out in pain and punch your husband (as soon as he's finished, of course). 

2. Morning shot time.  This is sooooo important and I'll tell you why.  For the first 2 IVF's, I had an 8pm shot time because this worked with our work schedules.  Every night at 8pm I'd get shot, sit on a heating pad, massage the area and walk around for a couple hours before going to sleep.  Every morning, I'd wake up with a numb bum without fail.  During my FET, I took a producing job that required me to work at night, 6pm-10pm.  I was freaking out because my shot time would get messed up!  Aaaaah!  We had no choice but to move it to 7am, right before Jeff left for work...and sometimes a little later on weekends.  Well, what do you know?  No more numb butt!  Moving around for a couple of hours is good, but moving around for an entire day is WAY better in my opinion.

3. Light a candle.  Not only does a good smelling candle go a long way for making the "experience" a pleasant one, but you should also heat the oil up by holding it above the flame for a little while.  This thins out the oil and makes it go in your bum easier.

4. Happy music.  Yes, I've sort of become one of Pavlov's dogs, because now there are 3 songs that completely make me feel like I'm about to get a progesterone shot in my hiney, but that's the price I pay.  Happy music helps for a happy distraction.

5. Ice Pack/Heating Pad.  Ice the injection site until you've been stabbed.  Then apply the heating pad.

6. My lovely lady lumps.  No matter what you do, you will get a few lumps in your butt. It's unavoidable from my experiences.  However, I like to think of these lumps as temporary butt implants. Move over, J.Lo.

7. Chase it with some water.  The longer you do the shots, the more things will happen.  First and foremost, your pregnancy will progress (whoooo!), your butt lumps will develop, and you may or may not feel a little light headed some mornings.  For me, it's happened about 3 times total.  BUT, I've noticed that a glass of water as my companion goes a long way.

xoxo
L

No comments:

Post a Comment