Sunday, December 23, 2012

A holiday party...after an egg retrieval?!

So, I wasn't going to write about this because it is quite possibly insane but here goes.  Every year, Jeff and I throw a holiday party on the Saturday before Christmas.  We LOVE it.  To us, it is the best part of our holiday season.  However, this year was looking like it would be a bit different.  When we thought about doing IVF for a second time, my sights were set on November.  Hilariously, I thought I would be pregnant for Christmas.  HAHAHA. Sorry, that made me laugh.

So, the plan was IVF in November, party in December.  But then I got cysts and my Day 1 was delayed.  Then, they decided to put me on a long lupron cycle rather than the antagonist one.  Soon, the days of December were quickly approaching and I realized that our party was set on a day that would surely be on my transfer day or a day or two after.  I would be on bed rest. OH NOOOO. 

The hubs and I put our two terribly dumb heads together and decided to move the party up a week.  Then, the party would fall around the time of the retrieval, which would be much more ideal.  RSVP's were coming our way as we decorated the house in jolly holiday decor.  Then, it was time to trigger and upon hearing the words, the hubs and I looked at eachother, thinking the same exact thing...

The retrieval and holiday party would be the same day.

At first, we panicked. But last time my retrieval was at 9am and I felt fine the rest of the day so I decided to keep the party going.  It wasn't until the nurse called me and scheduled me for a 2PM retrieval time that I straight up lost my shiz (but still didn't cancel the party). 

In the end, I was zonky and tired. Bloated and unable to suck in my belly.  Out of it and a bit off. BUT I did it!  Even if it was an insane idea in the first place. 

It all worked out.  Somehow.  I survived a night of hosting my best friends and family with little other than the energy from my multiple Gatorades that I had stashed in almost every room of the house. And it's a good thing that we had it because my transfer was the next weekend and now we're pregnant.  HAHAHA. Sorry again.  OF COURSE, my transfer was subsequently canceled so it would have been MUCH better to keep the original date, but we had no way of knowing that. 

Our tradition lives on and this year will be one I never ever ever ever forget.  Because I was crazy for having it in the first place.

We went from this...



To this...
My sister and I. Tube dresses are your friend after an egg retrieval.

Jeff with our bro in law and neph


How cute is this guy?  I love my nephew!





Jeff putting on our dogs Santa outfit.  Someone had to.





Merry Christmas, all!  And may the new year be filled with lots of health, happiness and babies!

xoxo
L

No comments:

Post a Comment