Tuesday, December 11, 2012

HCG Infusion?

At my retrieval appointment, Jeff and I were handed a brochure explaining an HCG Infusion to be done at the time of embryo transfer.  It's done on a trial basis, so even if we sign up, our chances of being picked for it are 50/50.

As of this second, I think we're going to do it (if they want us).  It scares me because it's yet another scientific thing thrown into the babymaking scene.  I know that things can go wrong naturally too, but I think it's harder when the decision is mine to make.  On the one hand, this flushing of the uterus with HCG is supposed to help implantation by FIFTEEN PERCENT, which is a ton.  But on the other hand, I don't understand more than what I can google and what they tell me and I won't ever really know if there are long term effects.  Is this safe?  I hope so.  There is so much trust that goes into this process.

UPDATED 1/22/13 - So, my transfer did get pushed back to an FET and I did not choose to do the HCG infusion at the time of embryo transfer. The nurses staff was visibly sad, but it's not their uterus and I just didn't feel there was enough information on this process. In a year, when the trial is done and they have the definitive answer they are looking for...I might be all for it!  But not until then:)

Since the retrieval, I've had a lot of time to think.  I'm very anxious. Very nervous. Very excited.  I'm also very sad about certain things encountered along this journey of mine.  I mean, it's inevitable in this situation that I will be around some depressing things.  I sit in an infertility office almost every day, surrounded by girls like myself or worse off than myself. 

On Saturday, I literally sat in between the two most opposite egg retrieval situations.  Through the curtain to my left sat a girl, sick, nauseous, bloated, out of it, going through bed pan after bed pan because she couldn't stand.  She was cooked, done.  And for good reason.  Her retrieval had produced a whopping 69 eggs before I'd even gotten there.  SIXTY NINE!  I don't think it's normal for nurses to whoop and holler, but they definitely were.  Yes, this girl will have OHSS for sure, but she also has a crap load of eggs.  I know some people think that the number of eggs don't matter because it's the quality that counts, but I don't know.  She seemed pretty happy. Even if 60 out of 69 of them are immature, or didn't fertilize, there is still good amount left and that is INSANE. 

However, to my right sat another girl and her husband.  Of course I couldn't see either of these couples, but the curtains between us were thin and for good portions of our wait, Jeff and I were silent (much unlike the last time when thumb wrestling was our main thrill).  The girl to my right was scheduled to go right before me.  She was nervous, but in good spirits.  When she spoke, she sounded very matter-of-fact but also excited.  She and her husband laughed a good amount until the nurse approached them with the normal questions.  I heard her say that she had already experienced a pregnancy for 2 full months.  I heard her tell the nurse she was hoping for 7 eggs.  

They walked her in.  

In no time at (it felt like less than 10 minutes), she was wheeled back to where we were.  Groggy and medicated.  The nurse disclosed her number of eggs privately and I couldn't hear what she said, but I could hear the girl.  She was crying.  Through the tears we heard that her retrieval had produced 5 eggs and she was devastated.  I heard her husband console her, saying "You knew it wouldn't be a lot."  But that's the thing.  Even when you KNOW you shouldn't get your hopes up, you do.  

Before they even took me back to get on the backwards massage table from hell, the girl to my right had already changed, packed up and left.  She was done and it took so much for me not to cry for her.  Even if I never saw what she looked like, I felt for her.  We were the same. 

I'm home for this week, relaxing, getting stabbed with progesterone and keeping healthy.  In fact, it is time for me to leave for acupuncture right now...

Toodles!
L

No comments:

Post a Comment